But a lot of the books there do not qualify for this list...They are just quick reads that get my mind off of work, relocation, bills, etc which allows for a better night sleep - most of the time.
Though if it is a series that attempts to tackle some topics in the midst of the mindless romance, I am thinking about counting the series...
I'll have to think on that one...
Since I have been reading so much (and the kindle makes that easier on airplanes)... I have changed the goal up a bit. Instead of 12 reads, I am going for 12 reads that I would recommend. Yep, have read a lot lately that I wouldn't recommend...Though I will list those at the bottom.
Updated reads through the end of June (in no particular order):
1. Viper Game by Christine Feehan (Ghostwalker Series) <--Recommend! But you need to read the series in order. This is one of the authors that I will not read on kindle. I still buy the real book and keep it in my library!
2. Obsession in Death by JDRobb <--Recommend! But you need to read the series in order. This is one of the authors that I will not read on kindle. I still buy the real hard cover book and keep it in my library!
3. The Portland Storm series by Catherine Gayle (kindle)...
Okay, I thought about it and I am going to include this romance series. It is a 10 book series (the link connected to the title is only for the first four), so I'm not trying to wimp out on my reading or anything. Some of the books hit on different topics like Recovering from Abuse (the first one)... There is another about Cancer (two if you count the novella)... And many other real world issues. Now don't misunderstand me - this is a romance series and makes for a good mindless read if you skip over some of the serious issues, but I really enjoyed the deeper story lines and I learned a little bit about hockey in the process. <--Recommend!
4. The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim DeFede (kindle)
I have had this book on my wish list for awhile now, but couldn't stomach paying $10 and not have a book to hold in my hand. Then MBB gave me a kindle gift card for Mother's Day and this was the first one that I grabbed. Appropriate that I read part of it on the flight to New York where I went to visit the 9/11 memorial (didn't make it to the museum, so I will have to go back)... I liked the backbone to the book and I liked the human touch, but I was a bit disappointed in the writing for $10. Good book to read if you remember 9/11, but I recommend waiting on a sale.
5. The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell (kindle)
This board is about a family torn apart by hoarding. I enjoyed the read, but it was deep in spots and flighty in others. Not sure on the recommendation, so I'll leave it here for now.
6. Disney U: How Disney University Develops the World's Most Engaged, Loyal and Customer-Centric Employees by Doug Lipp (kindle) I enjoyed this kinda sorta story about Disney and kinda sorta self-improvement book. I really like the concept and kept thinking as I read the book - if only this were still the case today (especially in the Disney Stores, which is also talked about in the book). <-- Recommend for those on a kinda sorta history / Disney kick, though catch on a Kindle Deal of the Day like I did!
7. Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines Book 1) by Marko Kloos (kindle - prime shared 052015)
This series kinda reminds me of Hunger Games, a little bit. Set in the future where life as we know it is no more. I really enjoyed the first book of the series.
8. Lines of Departure (Frontlines Book 2) by Marko Kloos (kindle - prime shared 062015)
The second book of this series started out very slow (almost didn't keep going), but got better throughout the book to the point that I am waiting for July so that I can "check out" the third one.
Anyone have any recommendations for free/cheap kindle books???
The Not Recommending List
> The Financial Wisdom of Jesus: The 7 Spiritual Principles of Weath by Paul Millard (kindle)
> Remove Negative Thinking: How to Instantly Harness Mindfulness and The Power of Positive Thinking by Helga Klopcic and KC Harry (kindle)
> Fitness Optimization: Learn the Essentials of a Healthy Lifestyle. The 8 key elements of Fitness, Lose Weight, and Become a More Radiant Human Being. by John Mayo (kindle)
> Small Habits, Big Results: 55 Small Changes That Completely Turned My Life Around by Michelle Williams (kindle)
> When God Makes You Wait by Adam Houge (kindle) Honestly, I don't even remember what this was about (other than God), so I'd have to put this in the Not Recommending list.