Monday, March 10, 2008

Greetings from Japan!

Sunday 9:35pm Eastern time:
Right now, I am going 542miles/hour, 32,037 feet above Yukon, Canada (we flew in an upside down U shape staying over land most of flight). I thought it was cold back home, but it is currently -59F outside this aircraft. Glad they gave me a blanket!

Once I got my hands on some headphones, Batman & Robin and then Alvin and The Chipmunks became a part of my world. Now, it’s time to change things up a bit: listening to some play lists provided by the airline and getting some work done. . .
I have 8 more hours to fill up with work, movies and music. I already read all of the books that I had in my carry-on: Another reason for me to find my checked luggage!

I was thinking about catching a nap, but it will be nighttime when we land. . .I really need to sleep once I get to the hotel since I’ll be joining lively discussions with my global co-workers tomorrow. I will admit that it is tempting to say heck with it and sleep anyway - my seat goes pretty close to horizontal and is just a little bit more comfortable than the other seats that I have been sitting in the last two days. . .

Monday 8:30am Eastern time:
I HAVE ARRIVED!!! :)
I am now at the hotel at my final destination for the next six days.
Even though Japan is in the same season pattern as Cincinnati, the temp here is about 20 degrees warmer. I have my more winter-type jacket with me as it was so cold at home when I left and I am roasting here. But believe me - I am very happy to be a bit warmer after the last few days.

I owe the gentleman in Detroit's Northwest baggage issue area a coffee.
The one who recommended that I submit a missing bag claim from the final destination while still in Detroit. He even went as far to make it happen for me. "Get a jump on it" I believe is how he explained it.

I got off of the airplane and started hunting for someone in the luggage area who could speak English. The minute I showed him my claim print-out, his immediate response was
. . . "I was notified about your bag. It is on your flight."

Ladies and Gents: My bag had a rushed reroute tag on it and made it to Detroit in time to be on my flight with me. What a relief!

Yes. . .Today went much more my way than yesterday.

Many years ago, I was attempting to get back from a weekend trip in Japan and couldn't find anyone who spoke English to help me purchase a subway ticket (Dang It - I knew how much the thing was supposed to cost, but couldn't get the machine to let me pay that much!!!).

Today, I was trying to locate the bus to the hotel (~$20 rather than ~$200 for a taxi) and was approached by an airport worker who spoke perfect English asking if she could help me. I wouldn't have made the next bus without her help - I need to buy her a coffee too!

Once I made my way to the hotel, I found that I had a medium size room. Believe me - I was extremely happy to have this room. Typical Japanese rooms are very small. Last year, I had the super big room. This year, my room has two double beds with a desk next to it - just a tad bit smaller than a typical U.S. room.

I am currently watching CNN International (the only other station in English is BBC) and am going to try to get some sleep as I have to be awake and alert for meetings tomorrow.
I will continue to blog during my trip - the times on the posts will reflect the actual time in Japan.


Namaste.

No comments: