Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Random Things To Celebrate My Birthday!

In celebration of my 33rd birthday (officially at 10:16am today - hence, the forced post time... hehe), I decided to follow Ginger's lead and post that many random things about myself.

I tend to "borrow" blog ideas from
Ginger every now and then. . .
I don't feel too guilty as she is a friend of my sister's! :)

  1. My first car was a Silver Renault. I didn't have it long as there was a lady who "found" the car keys her family had hid from her. She decided that her brand new New Yorker should have right-of-way no matter where she was.
    The only thing that she said to me? "Your car looks better than mine!"
    That was my one and only ride in an ambulance.
    Not sure if it was her one and only ticket.

  2. I know a lot of useless things like: There is a statue in Washington D.C. that no other statue can be taller than, more of a traditional think than law (Know what it is??? lol).
    The problem is that I don't remember where I heard most of the things that I know, so I spend lots of time with my friend Google in order to back up my useless knowledge.

  3. The #1 song on the day I was born was "Annie's Song" by John Denver.
    Don't think that I have ever heard it.

  4. I've been told that I look like Julia Louise Dreyfus - especially when my hair is curly and I am wearing my contacts.

  5. The songs that make me crank up the volume knob are "Come On Eileen" and "Paradise by the Dashboard Light". One makes me wanna try to sing along, the other makes me wanna dance - Can you tell me which is which? :)

  6. I have allergies...Not the normal grass / pet allergies that seem to be common around here. I'm allergic to mushrooms, aspirin, orange juice, floral perfumes, some lotions and bar soap.
    Yes, I have just a few allergies.
    No, I never claimed to be normal.

  7. I don't have any pets right now - but I absolutely love the Lion Fish. Did a report in grade school called "Dangers of the Sea" and it has been a favorite of mine ever since. Would love to own one, but it is endangered (code for very expensive) and is very dangerous AND I don't want the hassle of a salt water tank!

  8. I got tall pretty fast back in the 80s. I think I was 5'6" by the time I was in Jr. High. Then the lady found the keys (see #1) and now, I am 5'5".
    Yes, my spine went into a "S" shape from side to side as a result of the accident...
    I was shorter, but the chiropractor helped me get some of it back.

  9. I hate Lima Beans and I despise mushrooms (see #6) - neither are allowed in the condo!


  10. I like coconut milk, but can't stand the coconut strands that seem to be on everything. Love the taste. Hate the texture! I never got to have any of Luke's birthday cake as his favorite is German Chocolate - yes, the one that has those pesky strands in the icing.

  11. MommyMarie decided that my initials were SMR before I was born. If I was a boy, my name would have been Steven Michael instead of Sassy Marie.

  12. I like my name - the one on my birth certificate. I like my nickname - Sassy. I do not like it when people shorten my name - especially people who I don't know very well or I just met.

  13. I have the complete discography of Westlife, Prince (less the several that sucked when he forgot his name), Karen Taylor-Good, David Ault, Greg Tamblyn and David Roth (no, not Dave Lee Roth).
    I'm sure that I have a few more artists that could be added to this listed - you know, the ones with the one-hit-wonders on their one and only CD.

  14. I do not like the color yellow. Hate it. The only time you will see it in the condo is when it is on a food container or a book jacket. This does not carry over to the color gold. I like gold - wear it all the time and even painted walls in my condo a color called "Bagel".
    No Nickey, my walls are not yellow!

  15. I had two favorite stuffed animals when I was little. The first was a teddy bear named "Buddy". Buddy experienced some rough times through the years...He even lost one of his eyes part way through our journey together. Yes, we are still on the journey together.
    The other was a yellow monkey named George. Yes, he was yellow... No, I don't still have him. I believe that he hit the road right about the time that I decided that yellow wasn't a good thing (see #14)...

  16. One of my 'comfort foods' is MommyMarie's grilled cheese and chili. I'll never forget one year - GrandmaMarie's entire family was sitting around a huge table (OK, it was really a pool table with plywood on it) for Thanksgiving (or was it Christmas?) and we mentioned that MommyMarie made grilled cheese the night before. Every family member who was related by blood did a "yum" while every person related by marriage did a "yuck"...
    Yes, my family eats grilled cheese with the pickles grilled into the sandwich.

  17. I have seen "Sixteen Candles" probably over a thousand times. Luke used to hide the TV Guide from me so that I wouldn't know when a random station would be showing it again. One time, I saw a version with some extra scenes - bought the DVD to get those extra extras - but no dice, just the plain old version. I am still on the look-out for the extras, there is always hope that one day...

  18. I am not afraid of heights, but I hate being on shaky ground...
    I can get on the "A" frame ladders, but those shaky extension ladders? Forget it!
    Scaffolding? Never again!
    Coming down the high curve of the St. Louis Arch? That was about the death of me (for some reason going up the curve didn't bother me).


  19. I was a yearbook editor for almost four years. Now that I scrapbook, I find myself still following those pesky yearbook rules that we learned in case we ever entered a competition - like no trapped white space (I think I might drive Nickey crazy with this one!).

  20. I sleep with a dog bone. No, not the treat that Handy would give his dog! It is a long narrow pillow that is shaped like a dog bone. If I sleep without it, my neck lets me know that it isn't happy with me. Not a pleasant experience!

  21. When I am at home, I cannot go to sleep without checking my email. Not sure why - but I will toss and turn until I get out of bed and boot up the computer.

  22. In a span of 13 months, I moved 9 times. The site of a cardboard box started to make me feel nauseous. The tape residue would not come off of my fingers no matter how hard I scrubbed. So, I decided after move number eight that enough was enough. Move number nine was into my condo - the one that I bought and have now lived in for almost 11 years.

  23. I have seven piercings. . .Four in my left ear and three in my right ear. The thought of getting a piercing anywhere else on my body just makes me cringe. Can't do it!

  24. Every time I get gas, I write down all of the information into a log book. I can tell you at any moment what kind of gas mileage my car gets or what happens when I am in need of an oil change. :)

  25. I tried to sew one time when I was younger: five minutes using GrandmaMarie's sewing machine resulted in about 30 minutes to get it working again. I became a master of hand sewing!
    A few years ago, I decided that I wanted to start making quilts. Egypt taught me how to use the machine by sewing a straight stitch on an old wash clothe and off I went.
    Can I sew today? Nope! Can I make a mean quilt using a sewing machine? Yep!

  26. Most people will buy small things or accessories to go with larger things. By now, you have probably realized that I am far from normal - never claimed to be.
    I bet that you have a bed for which you bought a comforter in the appropriate size? Not me. I found a comforter that I liked and had to buy a new King Size bed to fit the comforter. The comforter and I have since parted ways (see #25), but I do like my big bed.

  27. I have started wearing funny t-shirts to the gym. The one that has gotten the most comments is "Girls just wanna have fun". My current favorite is "I want everything...Is that a problem?". The one that I wear when I don't want to do what Sadillac tells me: a penguin with its flippers over his ears and says "Not listening". Gotta love Steve and Barry's!

  28. My mom made all my clothes when I was in Kindergarten and 1st grade.
    No, I don't make my clothes now (see #25).

  29. I used to have a "shoes off at the door" rule when there was carpet all through the condo - I didn't want all of those chemicals buried in the carpet. Now that the 1st and 2nd floors are carpet free, I don't have the rule anymore.
    I still have two shelving units by the front door that all of my shoes go on.
    Yep, my shoes still come off at the door 99% of the time.


  30. My college roommate was always cold and I was always hot. Winter time found me in shorts and a tank top with her in a sweatsuit and the thermostat set so that the she wouldn't freeze. Now that I live with 'Me, Myself & I' and electric rates have trending up, I no longer wear shorts in the winter. Have I mentioned that I love my 7-day programmable thermostat (that is until I am home on a work day and forget to turn the furnace/air on)!

  31. Egypt and I each created "My Want List - Great and Small". It is a list of things we want to do in our lifetimes: from making bread from scratch to finding a cure for cancer. I try to check at least two things off the list every year - some years I do more, some I do less.
    There are lots of places to visit on the list, but the only ones that are listed as 'musts' are Alaska, Ireland, Hawaii and Australia. I'm 50% done as Alaska and Ireland have been checked off.

  32. By the time I was 33, I thought I would have figured what I want to be when I grow up and what I want to do with my life. Wow, was I wrong!

  33. I was surprised to learn recently that coming up with 33 random things about myself was very difficult! It was a huge undertaking that took me just under a month - I don't know how Ginger did it!

There! Now, you know a bit of the oddity that makes me, me.
If you think of something else that would have fit in the list above - feel free to throw it into a comment. :)

Namaste.

No comments: