Sunday, February 25, 2007

Expectations

"A pint can't hold a quart - if it holds a pint it is doing all that can be expected of it." - Margaret Deland

I'm not sure why I kept that quote. . .
I think it had something to do with eliminating unrealistic expectations. . .
I looked at it again tonight and a different thought came to mind. . .

There have been studies about positive reinforcement and negative reinforcement - don't ask for details, my mind only holds so much. I think that is why it is so important to watch our words - even to ourselves - "I'm tired." No, you are feeling tired. "I'm stupid." Do you really want to reinforce that one? How about, your action was stupid. And what about what is being said to our children??

Of course, kids (especially teens) are great at seeing through a load of crap. Sometimes the words are good and the action tells a different story. . .I believe the old saying is "Actions speak louder than words".

So, what does the study have to do with the quote?

How many do not reach their full potential because they are told they cannot. How many never even find out what they are good at because they are told they have to do something else?

Why did this pop into my head tonight? No clue.

I was blessed to be able to be me. I was able to go to college despite not coming from a rich family. I was able to buy a condo at the age of 22. I am able to travel the world at my leisure. I have become, in my opinion, a loving caring person despite have a biological donor that could be deemed a nightmare.

My dream is that everyone is blessed and is able to reach their own expectations and not limited to the expectations of others.

After all, if all duct tape did was be duct tape. . .
How many pieces of furniture, even cars, would not be in use today?

Namaste.

No comments: