Saturday, July 01, 2006

Celebration of Freedom

As I sit here typing, I hear the wonderful sound of fireworks being sent off to celebrate the Fourth of July weekend. I have to admit that this is my favorite holiday of the year; however, I have begun to 'celebrate' it much differently than I did when I was little.

Tonight instead of searching out where the firework show near my house is, I am reading military blogs to remind myself the meaning of America, the sacrifices that U.S. Marines/Soldiers are making and the history behind this wonderful holiday. This has become a more reflective holiday for me over the past five years. . .interesting that I only really noticed it this year.

>Michael Yon: Online Magazine was one of the sites that became my weekly read after I decided not to put too much time into MSM (Mainstream Media - i.e. the evening news). He has traveled with troops during the war and is not there to risk himself for "the video feed", but to document the truth of the journey both good and bad. The link takes you to his most recent dispatch and reminds me once again of what a hero is and why I read blogs and not TIME.

http://michaelyon-online.com/wp/warrior.htm

>Capt. B is a Marine that I sent care packages to through the anysoldier program. I began to read his thoughts via emails that he sent out to those of us who were sending packages. He is now in the states and I keep in-touch via his blog. My understanding is that he is co-writing a book that will definitely be on my to buy list. This link points to his post about "who knows what this holiday is about". Of his three questions, I hit the first two exactly. I struggled a bit with the third one, but knew enough that I feel like I wasn't totally ignorant on the subject.
http://www.onemarinesview.com/one_marines_view/2006/06/what_do_you_kno.html

>Blackfive was the first blog that I ever read. He has gotten so busy that he now has other bloggers posting on his site as well (a shame, if you ask me) so I don't visit the site as often as I used to. He hasn't posted his "fourth of July" message yet, so I am linking to the first post that I read there - it is hilarious and a must read!
http://www.blackfive.net/main/2004/12/every_care_pack.html

I mentioned care packages above: The past few years, I found myself with the uncontrollable desire to send care packages to my troops (yes, I did say 'my'. . .they are defending my freedom aren't they?) both through www.anysoldier.com and www.soldiersangels.org. Until recently, I did not know any of the soldiers that I sent packages to (last count I had shipped to 69 Units/Soldiers/Marines, many multiple times). I can say that I don't like/support (however you want to phrase it) the guy at the White House, but I will always support my guys/gals on the front line.

I don't feel like I have missed anything this weekend by spending a bit more time in front of the computer. I will get my 'ooh' and 'aah' fix during Cincinnati's huge fireworks show in September for Labor Day Weekend.

Namaste.


"How we remember, what we remember, and why we remember form the most personal map of our individuality." -Christina Baldwin

No comments: