Friday, July 14, 2006

3.1 Miles ! ! !

WHOO HOO! I cranked out 3.1 miles (500 calories) on the Olyptical Machine today! And that follows very closely to the 2.1 miles (350 calories) that I busted out last night.

This brought a memory to mind:
In middle school, I would have to run a mile a zillion times every year because it took over 12 minutes for me to get around that track four times. OK, reality check: I had to run it two or three times (or until they felt sorry for me and just gave me a failing grade for that event).

EXCEPT: When the gym teacher was off a semester on medical leave. Her substitute was great eye candy and took an interest in the kids. I barely remember what he looks like or even his name (so I'll call him Mr. EC), but his attitude is in my memory very vividly. With his encouragement, I ran a mile in 10 minutes, 16 seconds. 10 minutes, 16 seconds! The first time I tried it! I remember my eyes getting huge and my mouth dropping to the ground as he called out the time. I was on top of the world and I think that Mr. EC's smile was as big as mine - he truly wanted for us kids to succeed.

I'm sure that when the "regular" teacher got back, she took one look at my time and changed it thinking that I cheated. I saw her do this numerous times over the years after running events to other students, so it wouldn't have surprised me. But I know, and Mr. EC knows, that someone believed in me and as a result, I put my mind on a goal and did it.

It took about 17 years for Mr. EC's lesson to actively start playing a role in my life. I don't think that the lesson had a chance in my young teenager's psyche, but my subconscious filed it away knowing that I would need it one day. It is now in my reality that I only need one person in this world to believe in me - ME!

I was with Mr. EC for a very short time and his influence is still with me today. I was with the regular teacher for 3.5 years and I don't remember one positive thing about her, but I do remember her name! Interesting, isn't it?

Isn't it wonderful that a teacher, even a substitute that only touch our lives briefly, influenced a life so deeply? Thank-You Mr. EC! I can only imagine the impact you had on students when you became the "regular" teacher.


Namaste.

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou

No comments: