Sunday, February 11, 2018

Winter Olympics

I am not much of a TV person...
OK - let's not count my childhood when my brother had to hide the TV Guide from me so I couldn't watch Sixteen Candles AGAIN.

Every now and then a Music Program or the Olympics peaks my interest.
Though honestly, I couldn't tell you how to watch live TV in my house right now and if I did figure it out - I'd have to consult Google on the local TV channels.
Sigh...

Even though I didn't get to watch the Opening Ceremonies the other night, I did start looking for facts about the Winter Olympics (Have I introduced you to my best friend, Google?)...


About the Winter Olympics:
>In 1924, the first Winter Games were held in Chamonix.
>1994 was the first year that the Winter and Summer Olympics were held in different years.
>Norwegian biathlete, Ole Einar Bjomdalen, has won 13 medals.
>Norway has won the most medals that the Winter Olympics Games (329).
>Six people have won medals at both the Winter and Summer Olympics.

About the 2018 Winter PyeongChang Winter Olympics:
>There are 102 events in 15 disciplines:  Of which more are women and mixed events than any Olympics in history.
>92 nations will be competing in these games
>Six nations are also scheduled to compete in the Winter Olympics for the first time:
Ecuador, Eritrea, Kosovo, Malaysia, Nigeria and Singapore.
>Due to the doping scandal, Russia has been barred from this Olympics. 
>169 Russian athletes will compete as individuals.
>NHL players will not be competing in the hockey games.
>Four new events: Big Air Snowboarding, Big Air Freestyle Skiing, Mixed Doubles Curling and MassStart Speedskating Races.

About the USA Olympic team:
>244 athletes (the most from any country for any Winter Games) - 135 Men and 109 Women
>Erin Hamlin, a four-time Olympic luger, will carry the USA flag during the opening ceremonies.
>The average athlete age is 26.5 years.
>Ice Hockey Skater, Brian Gionta, is the oldest American athlete competing (39).
>Seven sets of siblings (include one set of twins) will compete.
>Figure skaters, Alexa Scimeca-Knierim and Chris Knierim will be the first married couple to represent USA since 2006.
>12 of the athletes are on Team Toyota:
J.R. Celski, Elena Hight, Lindsey Jacobellis, Gus Kenworthy, Chloe Kim, Hailey Langland, Ted Ligety, Steven Nyman, Sugar Todd, Louie Vito, Ashley Wagner and Torin Yater-Wallace
>The first two openly gay Olympians will be competing, including Team Toyota's Gus Kenworthy, who was considered the first action sports star in the US to represent the LGBTQ community (in 2015).

And I will also say that not everything you read on the internet is true - so I take no credit for the facts on this list or if they are incorrect (though if I find out something is wrong, I will edit this post to correct it). 
Just some tidbits that I found interesting...

Namaste.

No comments: