Monday, March 21, 2011

It wasn't quick, but it was easy. . .

I haven't been feeling well for awhile now.
We think that OB got it first. . .
He gave it to MBB. . .
Who gave it to me. . .
And as of getting home from school today. . .MaBell has informed me that I gave it to her.
Hmmm. . .Let's think about that one again.

We've already used up all of my "quick" dinner ideas the last few days, so I need something that, even though it wasn't quick, was easy.

A while back, I found this intriguing recipe for Baked Potato Nachos. I had it on the menu list for last week, but it was quickly substituted with a "quick" dinner. Tonight, I decided to make them - but I changed them up a bit so that they were the main course (see in the link above that you could still see the potatoes? Nope - couldn't see them when I was done - but with all of my trying to keep it easy, I didn't get a picture of mine).

MBB didn't think we had enough and he was right - but I was very close. So, we pulled out two of those handy, dandy Uncle Ben's 90 sec bags and considered dinner complete.

I should admit now - I have some VERY picky eaters in my house.
If they looked at the recipe that I am about to post, at least one of them would refuse to eat this and the other would approach very carefully - but everyone liked it and said that it was a repeat. So, to those of you picky eaters out there (Hi Nicky!!!) - try it! You might like it!

(NOTE: see two are the ingrediants call for 1/2 of the container? Yep - I got this meat idea from another recipe that I made right before I got sick. . .Everyone liked it then too! Picky??? Hmmmm. . .)

Sassy's Modified Potato Nachos
Red Potatoes (I used 4 very big ones and 5 smaller ones)
1lb Ground Beef (Lean)
1pkg Cheesy Taco Seasoning
1/2 jar Corn & Black Bean Salsa
1/2 can Reduced Fat Refried Beans
2 cups Mexican Shredded Cheese (2%)
Shredded Lettuce
**Other Nacho type items**
Sour Cream (Reduced Fat)


Cut the potatoes into wedges, sprinkle with olive oil (I tried butter spray, but had to add the oil part way through). Bake on 450F for 25 minutes, flip the potatoes, 25 minutes more (mine were in longer because I started with butter...may not take that long if you start with oil).

Ground the beef with the seasoning on medium to medium/high heat. Reduce heat to low, add beans and salsa. Simmer until the potatoes come out of the oven.

I used paper towels to get the oil off of the potatoes once they came out of the oven.

Layer on each individual plate (allows for picky eaters to leave off sour cream and such!):

Potatoes, Meat Mixer, Cheese (will melt), Lettuce, **Other Nacho type items - MaBell's black olives come into play here**, Cheese (won't melt), Sour Cream

You will need a fork to eat these. . .
But they are yummy.

Namaste.

No comments: