Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Can I Boycott?

Those dadblasted VISA gift cards. . .

My understanding (though I have never bought one, so I am not sure) is that there is a fee to buy a VISA gift card and now I found out that if the recipient does not spend the gift card in a timely manner, the company begins deducting monthly fees from the balance.

I have never bought one of these because of the initial fee. If I am willing to spend the money on someone for a gift of money, then I would rather that they got all of the money.
I did receive one of these for Christmas last year and set it aside to spend on the many remodeling projects in the condo. One thing lead to another and my working on the condo got pushed back to September. I went to use it - DECLINED. Yep, because I was trying to spend the amount originally put on the card and not the balance after fees.


My last grip about these cards (and then I'll let it go because I am hopeful that I never come in contact with one of these again): The "timely manner" count-down starts from when the card was purchased and not when it is activated. In my family, most of us try to get our shopping done early. This situation followed that norm and the card was bought over a month prior to being gifted. You guessed it - I was playing a guessing game as to how much was on the card and ended up having to call the company for a balance.

In the end, the company got us for the initial fee and $12 in monthly fees.
My recommendation: AVOID THESE THINGS AT ALL COSTS!!!

Namaste.

No comments: