Thursday, February 22, 2007

My Way???

Read 'Have it your way. . .' on "Bought, Sold, or Processed. . ." which got me thinking. What things drive me nuts if they aren't just so? Nickey challenged me to come up with my Top Ten. . .

1. No Yellow! I don't think it is a surprise to anyone that knows me that this is #1. I do not like yellow. Sorry to all of you yellow-lovers out there, but it is just not for me. I do like gold and beige and all of those colors that many people think are yellows, but they don't look yellow to me. In fact, most of my house is painted Bagel. It's a gold color that leans toward orange (about the color of a lightly toasted bagel).

2. Toilet paper - over or under? Over! Please!!! If it gets loaded under, I will change it - promise (Yes, I have caught myself changing it in other people's house!). Of course, my full bath didn't have enough room for the toilet paper holder (I was NOT putting holes in my new vanity), so the holder was installed sideways. In that case, I really don't care which way it gets loaded, but it didn't take me long to figure out - if it is loaded so that the paper comes from the left, it is harder for the paper to play hide-and-seek behind the toilet. . .

3. I'm agreeing with Ginger's #2: No wire hangers in my closet! A majority of my hangers are white plastic with a few wood ones. . .Now if someone else wants wire hangers in their closet - so be it. . .As long as my clothes don't get hung on them!

4. No shoes on the carpet! I might be able to blame this one on my many trips to Japan. I used to be fanatical about this one - didn't want all of the dirt and chemicals making themselves at home in the fabric. Since most of the carpet in the condo has been replaced with wood and tile, not so much of an issue anymore. Most of my shoes are in a shoe rack by the front door, but it is primarily because I cannot stand the sound of loud shoes on wood stairs. . .

5. The toilet lid must be closed before I flush! Notice, I said lid, not seat. I saw a documentary on. . .Something or other. . .The only thing that I remember is a visual of where germs go when a toilet is flushed. Let me tell you - it is disgusting. My toothbrush holder is now in the medicine cabinet away from any germs that may get out despite the lid being down. I cringed when I walk into my bathroom and the lid is up. . .AUGH!

6. Proper grammar! OK, that's not true. The only thing that fits in this list and in that statement is the word "ain't". I can't stand that word. It drives me crazy. . .

7. I sort the silverware as it is being loaded into the dishwasher! There are different utensils and there are different compartments: seems like the inventors had me in mind. Yes, I know that sounds weird. I used to have a roommate - we lived together for eight years. This was one of her 'things' that I realized became one of my 'things' after she moved out. Really, it makes it much easier to unload the dishwasher when all of the spoons are in one compartment, the knives in another. . .

8. You could say that I collect receipts - credit card receipts. I keep all of my receipts and when my credit card statement comes in - I match them up, put them in order, enter into Quicken and staple the month's activity together for future reference. Yes, these are on the same cycle as my tax returns - seven years. . .

9. My closet is organized. . .In its own way, maybe. Work-type clothes hang in one area. Casual clothes hang in another. All the clean clothes get loaded in a certain direction and I get clothes to wear from the other direction. If something gets 'passed over' for too many months, it goes in the 'find a new home' pile. Because of how often I do laundry (not often), this usually also means that all the dark clothes hang together and all the light clothes hang together. As a result, my unmentionable drawer is organized the same way. When socks get put away another way. . .Well, it's not pretty! I am not a morning person - I have been known to wear two different colored socks to work because the drawer wasn't organized properly. . .

10. I have a lot of allergies. I admit it. Some think I'm weird (who am I to differ). I don't think about it much because that's the way it always has been. Sometimes it's just easier to act like I am brand loyal (for some reason, people don't think that is as weird): Tylenol (NO ASPIRIN), Tide Detergent (Gain is a no-no, who knows what else), Liquid Soap (NO BAR SOAPS, unless it's one of those natural bars), Juices must be orange-free, Baby Powder must be made with corn starch and the biggest, most important one of all: NO MUSHROOMS!

It took me two days to come up with these ten and I think some of them are pretty lame.
If anyone knows of a quirks of mine that I missed, let me know!

Namaste.

No comments: