Thursday, July 06, 2006

Customer Service. . .

I admit it. . .I am probably one of the most generous tippers on the planet. I have been known to tip 25- 30% at a restaurant / spa. I don't hesitate and I do it willingly - if it is earned. I will also admit that I don't hesitate to leave a penny, again if it is earned (for those of you that don't know. . .A penny left as a tip is very negative. It is meant to say, no I'm not cheap or forgetful. . .You just provided an unacceptable level of customer service). Notice, I said EARNED in both situations.

While I was growing up, we were very dependent on Mommy Marie's tips from work. Some days those tips paid for my lunch at school. It was not a hand-out or a way for others to support my family. IT WAS EARNED. Granted, I have only had one part time job where I was in a "receiving tip" situation. I did not expect them, but treasured what I did receive as a sign of work done well.

I am starting to get very frustrated with those in the service industry who think that a 15% tip is automatic no matter how well they do their job. After all, we live in America - you are free to provide the level of service that you wish to provide at that moment. But please remember, I am also free to provide you with the tip that adequately reflects that same level of service. Funny how that works, hmm?


What brought this topic to mind tonight? Earlier this evening, I was trying to get membership prices at my gym for a family member. Even though the sales members in this industry don't get tipped, they do work on commission. Instead of paying attention to what was going on, all of the sales members (and then some) were in the manager's office laughing, joking, having personal conversations on cell phones, etc, etc, etc. It hit me after I left, without the information, that it wasn't the end of the month, so they may not be so worried about sales goals at this point in time. Hmm. . .interesting thought.

I then called another branch of the gym (a location that I also work-out at on occasion as it is near work) and received good information, plenty of payment plan choices and a sales member who was interested in discussing options and receiving a referral. I think that this is someone who should receive all of my referrals / commissions / renewals in the future! (See quote below)

Namaste.


"The only people you should try to get even with are those who have helped you." - R.J. Rehwinkels

No comments: