Monday, September 12, 2016

Unexpected Goodbye...

When I was small, I had a void in my life...
I had no Dad.





There a man who had a void in his life...
He had two sons, but no daughter.





The two voids met and became "step family" by law.





When a judge eliminated the "step" - sheer will, stubbornness and love kept the "family".





I was blessed to have my dad for 36 years. 23 of them by our choice.





It has been 19 days since I got the call.
It has been 10 days since I said goodbye.





I am only now able to write this without sobbing.





I guess it is only fitting in my mind that I write this on an airplane as that is what I was boarding when I found out.
Then I had to get on two more planes to get back home. 



I shed a lot of tears on those flights.





And I still mourn.
And I still love.
And now I have a hole in my heart like none that I have ever experienced.





But I know my dad is still alive as he lives on in my memories and the impact that he had on my life.





He taught me that a child could be born in my heart and not in my belly.
He taught me that I shouldn't let anyone else dictate who my family is. 
He taught me that blood is not thicker than water and it does not take a piece of paper to "make it real".





I love you Dad.
I hope your dancing...















Namaste.

No comments: