Saturday, January 10, 2015

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder!

It all started about 12 years ago, give or take a year or two, when I would travel north a few hours to visit Egypt.  I would drive by a particular coffee shop on my way to her apartment.

The plan was to go drop off my bag and pick her up and then go grab a cup of yumminess.
I remember her saying - you won't be able to drive by it...
And my... Of course I can - just a few minutes to get you (literally, it was a little bit of a hike on foot to get there from her apartment, but nothing in the car).
Then, she would pick up her phone with a "I'll have a...." knowing that I was calling from the coffee shop for her order because I just couldn't drive by it...

Then, they came expanded down to the Queen City and one opened a medium hike from my condo...
Almost, but not really, close enough that it didn't warrant the gas to start the car.
Now, if they got the sidewalks built...Maybe...
This was all just in time for me to move away to be with MBB.
Figures.
And no plans to expand across the river.

So, the trips to the coffee shop became a treat when the kids and I had doctor/dentist appointments in that area.  And believe me - it was a treat that we all looked forward to... 
Snowdrift anyone?

Then, one day - in the fall of 2013, after a not-so pleasant doctor's visit (yes ladies, you know what I'm talking about) - I pulled up and there was brown paper on the windows and a big closed for good sign on the door.

I was heart broken...  
They closed every shop in Ohio (and a few others)...

Fast foward to the end of 2014...
Every so often, when I am in mitten land, I stumble across my favorite coffee shop.
OK... I may have stumbled the first time - now, I make a bee-line to go there when I am at the airport!

And I am realizing that I have never been close enough to this yumminess to get it everyday.
I'm starting to think that the absence and distance makes my taste buds like it so much more!


I will chose to ignore the on-line reports that the shops in Michigan may be axed in the future...
Probably just when my moving truck crosses the state-line.
Namaste.

No comments: