Friday, June 12, 2009

My Mac & Cheese Memory

My first three years of college, I lived in the same dorm wings with Mitzy and Allie.
During our senior year, the three of us lived together in the same apartment on campus.
When students live that close for that long, they become a second family.
We knew each others' likes and dislikes just as we would know those of our first family's, if not better.

We were all poor college students who had to shop thrifty. Popular college foods seem to be Ramen Noodles, Peanut Butter, Pizza and, you guessed it, Mac & Cheese. Unfortunately, we had to buy the generic brands in order to make the dollars stretch further.

As many of you may know, there are generics that taste good and there are generics that don't taste so good. I, on occasion, thought that generic Mac & Cheese fell under the not so good category. Allie was as especially found of Mac & Cheese and if my memory serves me correctly, was absolutely convinced that generic Mac & Cheese was definitely not good. But the love of food was high and the lack of money was low, so we continued to eat the generic.

Allie's 21st birthday was fast approaching and Mitzy & I decided to get her the perfect gift. . .with a twist. The first gift (a box of generic Mac & Cheese) was placed we kept our keys with a note directing her to the next gift (a box of generic Mac & Cheese) which directed her. . .yep, treasure hunt style. . .until she found the twentieth box of generic Mac & Cheese.

By this time, the gift was funny, and useable, but the last note lead to the best gift of all. . .
A box of Kraft Mac & Cheese. The smile on her face was not only a great memory from college, but a wonderful moment that I think of every time I enjoy my Kraft.


Like Kraft Mac & Cheese?
Have a Mac & Cheese moment?
Want to help Feed America?
If so, you may want to head on over to
Consumer Queen's site to participate. . .


Namaste.

No comments: