Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I Tried. . .

Dear Mr. President,

In years past, I always avoided presidential speeches in front of Congress.
"Why?" you may ask.

It becomes very difficult for me to sit through two hours of clapping to hear a 30 minute speech.
Yes, I would like to hear what you have to say and determine how it impacts my family; however, I get very tired of seeing all of the Jack-in-the-Boxes bounce out of their seats at your every other word.

This year, I decided to change my ways and watch anyway.
Secretly, I was hoping that my memories were wrong.
But no, the Jack-in-the-Boxes were there in full force.
At one point, I thought we would be graced with a dance number as it appeared that Nancy-baby was about to jump up on the desk behind you in her overwhelming excitement.

NOTE:
The one exception - the standing ovation for the soldiers.
For that one, I would sit through hours of clapping.

I may be wrong, but from the look on your face and how often you tried to talk over the clapping, you may have been a bit frustrated as well.

We tried to listen.
We tried to determine your plan for our Country's future.
We tried to find hope that we can recover.

We finally gave up and went to bed.
I will search the internet for your message. . .
Without the Jack-in-the-Boxes.

Namaste.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

SM:

How did you see me from your house? This Nancy-baby does a happy dance every time she hears the phrase President Obama. Ahhh - Obama!

While the pomp of the State of the Union may not be your style, you should note that half of Cincinnati watched what our President had to say. "We" may not include you but it does equal over a 42 share - just for broadcast viewing! I think we can all show Jack-in-the-Box enthusiasm for public discourse of ideas and a President who speaks to us as adults.

Love,

Nancy-baby

Unknown said...

Here are the national numbers for President Obama's address:

President Obama's first address to a Joint Session of Congress this past Tuesday in primetime reached nearly 52.4 million total viewers. The speech was carried live on 10 television networks: ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, Telemundo, Univision, CNBC, CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC.


Love it!