Sunday, January 11, 2009

Love My Crockpot!

I swiped a recipe from Carmen and with a few modifications, it has been approved by my family.

You may laugh at that, but it is a serious feat to get my family to agree on new recipes.
MBB doesn't do vegetables (he does like Beef Vegetable Soup - go figure) and OB is very picky.
MaBell has the closest taste buds to mine, but even she surprises me on occasion.

Here is my altered version. I tried to find Carmen's version, but I unmarked it once I copied the recipe down and I can't seem to find it again.

Carmen's Beef and Rice Soup
2lbs Beef Stew Meat
2T Italian Seasoning
1t Garlic Powder

1t Salt (reduced-sodium kind)
1t Pepper
1/4c Onion Flakes
3 cups Brown Rice
20 baby carrots
2 cans Beef Broth
4 cups water

I cut the Beef Stew Meat into bite-size pieces after it was cooked.
Layer ingredients in Crock Pot (do not stir).
Cook on low for 8hrs.


My altered recipe is from memory. . .So if I typed something wrong, I'll try to fix it later.
Carmen's recipe called for a can of diced tomatoes which got eliminated. I'm still debating whether to put in half a can of tomato juice instead. I thought it tasted good, but MBB hates cooked tomatoes.
I also changed the seasoning (i.e. Onion Flakes instead of a real Onion, amounts of other things) and that may continue to change as I make it again - I'll keep you posted. I "think" that is all that I altered from Carmen's.

It didn't come out as a soup consistency, more of a casserole type dish.
Overall, this tasted REALLY good to me. I need to be careful not to make it too often and burn OB out on it.

Namaste.

No comments: