Saturday, September 02, 2006

Me? A Pack Rat?

Some have accused me of being a pack rat. In fact, I think I have muttered those words a few times myself. But if you look around my condo, it does look like a pack rat has lived here for 10 years - only 6 months (which is how long it has been since my last got tired of it and cleared it out spree).

I'm clearing out again! I am tired of all of the papers and piles and the "I just may use that sometime in the future" crap. Making good progress - the trash man will not be pleased on Tuesday.

In going through the piles, I found some interesting tid-bits about jewelry that I picked up in Alaska. . .Gonna mention it and then it is going in the trash! The title of this post could also be "Reference for future jewelry buying". . .

I was involved in a conversation recently about the 4Cs of Diamonds. The other party didn't believe my recollection (I wasn't positive myself), but they were sure that the 4th C definitely wasn't carat. Guess what I found!

The 4Cs are:
  • CUT: Not its shape, but how it reflects and refracts light
  • COLOR: "Lack" of color - Icy Winter Whites of D to J colors look best in platinum or white gold and Warmer Summer Whites of K to O looks better in yellow gold (P to Z just look yellow to me)
  • CLARITY: Flawless to Included
  • CARAT: Not of size, but of weight. . .Also expressed as points (100 points - 1 carat)
Shape Cuts of Stones:

  • Round Brilliant
  • Oval
  • Marquise
  • Pear
  • Heart
  • Emerald
  • Trillion
  • Princess
  • Radiant
  • The Eighty-Eight (am I the only one who didn't know this one?)
Lastly, some blurbs and traditional legends about stones:

  • Sapphires: Long symbolized sincerity and truth. Persians believed that the earth rested on a giant sapphire and that the stone's reflection gave the sky its blue color. (NOTE: Medium-dark tones are most valuable)
  • Emerald: Gives the owner the gift of eloquence. Ancient cultures prized this stone and associated its rich green color with the color of spring, a time of love and rebirth. (NOTE: Bright green hue is regarded as better quality)
  • Aquamarine: Known as the gem of the sea, it is said to have a soothing influence on married couples.
  • Ruby: The stone of passion. Our ancestors ascribe magical powers to the ruby and deemed it the king of precious stones. (NOTE: Natural, rich, medium-toned redness is most desirable)
  • Opal: Known as nature's fireworks.
I can almost see the top of my desk now. Just don't look at any other flat surface in the office. :)

Namaste.

No comments: